Tuesday 15 January 2013

Big Lessons


One thing we can always guarantee in life is that we are always learning.....about love, children, health...work. And if we don’t make mistakes whilst learning....then I don’t think we are learning.

In the past 12 months, I wouldn’t say I have made mistakes...but rather I have taken some risks. December 2011 I ventured from my safe haven as a home based business of 4 years, to a retail shop up the road in some gorgeous old shops. Something I had dreamed about for many years and I was about to make this dream a reality.

I certainly didn’t go in starry eyed! I knew that I would have to pay rent, amenities, sell more products and potentially hire staff. I wanted to create the ideal boutique stationery outlet that I had always dreamed of and loved!

I had faith in my little venture and still do.

During the 12 months of trading at a retail outlet, I met some truly wonderful people, made some great friends, and had a gorgeous display of beautiful products and paper creations.....these are 12 months that I would not return for anything.

But this is where the risk taking leads to learning....I learnt that I can only do so much...I have several things in my life that I am extremely passionate about and after a year of trying extremely hard to make sure I still achieved the best I could in all of these, I started to lose the passion, and something was going to give!

Never had I thought that closing the shop would be the thing that gave, but after assessing everything else in my life, the decision was made quite easily.

I learnt that I was not on the correct path for Nancy Louise and started to repave a wonderful new direction that reinvigorated the fire in me to do what I love.

During the closing period of Nancy Louise and still now, people often ask about the shop and if I was upset that I closed....I think many are genuinely surprised when I say no. Yes, in a way it is sad that people will not experience the beauty and creativity that walking into Nancy Louise inspired, but no, for me.....it was exciting and fun....but I now know exactly where Nancy Louise needs to be and I didn’t need a retail face to do this.

Nancy Louise will still continue to supply stunning handmade invitations and stationery for any event...and is in the middle of creating some amazing new items to be released at the RFDS Bridal Expo in May 2013!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment